John Cieslak purchased Bittner Funeral Home on 28th and Carson Streets in the South Side in 1928. Originally, the building housed an office and stable. In 1938, John Cieslak married Mara J. Roman, aunt of Edward J. Tatko. One year later, they opened a funeral home at 81 South 15th Street on the South Side. In 1939, Mara J. Cieslak became a licensed funeral director and 3 years later, John Cieslak formed a partnership with his brother, Charles Cieslak.
In 1950, the partnership was dissolved and John and Mara Cieslak moved the funeral home to its current location in Brentwood. Four years after the move, John Cieslak passed away due to complications of a stroke. In 1960, an addition to the funeral home and a parking lot were built.
Ed Tatko became a licensed funeral director in 1971 and became a partner in the original Cieslak Funeral Home with his aunt, Mara Cieslak, thus updating the name to Cieslak & Tatko Funeral Home in 1972. In 1979, Ed became president and supervisor of the newly incorporated Cieslak & Tatko Funeral Home, Inc. In 1988, Mara Cieslak died, leaving Ed to run the funeral home.
In January 2014, Edward Tatko sold the Funeral Home to his employee, Michael Best. The Best family will continue serving the South Hills area with the same dedication, care and professionalism that the Funeral Home has provided for many years.